2017: A Year to Remember.

            It’s safe to say that 2017 was one of the most turbulent, yet exciting, years of my life so far. I had many highs and many lows: the good and the bad and everything in between. But those moments were not just experiences and memories; I learned and grew from those things more than I thought I would. They all shaped my life in one way or another, and because of it, I am coming into 2018 a stronger, more confident, and determined woman. I am thankful for all the things that happened this year for helping me recognize the woman I am and the woman I am becoming every day-the most powerful version of myself.

            But what exactly were those experiences? Let’s start with the lows…
The lows shaped me more than hurt me this year, but that is not to say that some of them hurt me more than others. I was controlled, manipulated, lied to, put down, and forced out of doing the thing that I love most-helping women- in an industry that has come to mean so much to me. All in relative silence to protect what I thought was my family. There were so many days I came home crying, defeated, weak…but every single time, my true support system was there for a shoulder to cry on and then lift me back up. This low taught me how to fight not only for myself, but for others as well and also fight for what I believe in and what I believe is right. I stood up to those who put me down and I am proud that my words helped the truth and justices prevail. I am not done helping women in this industry, I will still be here to fight for dreams and help as many women as I can on my journey.

In the words of Kesha: “I can thank you for how strong I have become. ‘Cause you brought the flames and you put me through hell; I had to learn how to fight for myself.”

                Putting the lows behind me, I have had SO many amazing successes and accomplishments! This year was my first year working with my dream coach and putting my dream of chasing a professional triathlon career out front. With that, I found myself with a 70.3 first place banner in my hands not once, but two times, and ended up with three amateur titles at Gulf Coast, Buffalo Springs, and Boulder 70.3. I had imagined those moments so many times, seeing myself crossing that finish line with banner in hand, but nothing compares to the feeling of actually doing so. I was fulfilling my dreams right before my own eyes!  

And not only that, I qualified for and earned my elite card at multiple events. My lifelong dream of becoming a professional athlete is no longer a dream. It is my reality, right now. Tomorrow starts my first official year in my dream job. This alone has fired me up every single day. I am living my dream, literally. And I am going to take full advantage of that. I worked harder than I have before, and I continue to work harder every single day. I am so fired up to begin this new journey and I am more than happy to share it with all of you!
This year has taught me to give up my excuses-to embrace every pain and every accomplishment.

                I CANNOT thank my support system enough. Without them, I would not be the person I am, and the person I am becoming.
Jeffrey:  my solid rock and main supporter-giving up so much to watch me chase my dreams
Siri: being the most amazing coach I could ever ask for, not only in triathlon, but in my life as a whole. She has unleashed a new Rachel, one that I am incredibly proud of.
My mom: for always being there to hold my hand and support me through every up and down in my entire life. For always believing that I am capable of incredible things.
My friends: Ashley, Nathan, Kim, Seth, my chinches (lifelong girlfriends) and others who came into my life this year in a big way. They are ALWAYS positive about my journey and have not once poked fun at my dreams or put me down. They stand up for me and are always willing to give what they can for me. For that, I am forever thankful.

And Thank You to all those who have supported me on my journey, close or far! I see and hear your words and y'all inspire me to be a better person every day!


So here’s a farewell toast to 2017-a year of growth, and a welcoming toast to 2018-a year I cannot wait to experience. Cheers!

Comments

Popular Posts